5th Anniversary Mass for St. Rose of Lima and 25th Anniversary of the FSSP
The priests and members of our apostolate in Quincy, IL, the historic St. Rose of Lima parish, recently celebrated both the 5th anniversary of the Traditional Latin Mass in the parish and 25th anniversary of the FSSP with a dinner in the parish hall. St. Rose also marked 100th anniversary in June of 2012.
Saint Rose has gone through some remodeling for the return of the traditional Mass, and is currently having the historic stained-glass windows being repaired by the original firm who installed them, Emil Frei Glass Works of St. Louis. The original organ, a Wicks opus #56, has also been restored, which includes the original blower from 1898. It is the only one of its kind in the world still operating.
The pews and organ were the only original items left in the church before the Latin Mass Society of Quincy formed and took over the church to prepare for the return of the traditional Mass. The marble altars and railing were purchased from Chicago. The marble lectern was made from left-over parts of the Communion rail. Some of the original items from St. Rose 1892-1912 — lost from the parish in the past — were returned, such as the Blessed Virgin and St. Joseph marble statues, purchased from an auction, that had been in St. Rose since 1951.
The Latin Mass Society of Quincy had everything replaced for the first priest to arrive on Nov 7, 2008, and the first traditional Latin Mass was offered the next day. Previous to this, the last Traditional Mass was offered in April of 1968 by Msgr. Patrick J. Fox, the long time pastor from 1934-1967. Saint Rose has always been noted as the most beautiful church in the Diocese of Springfield because of its style and interior and famous stain glass windows.
Enjoy pictures of the celebration and the refurbished stained-glass windows.
December 13, 2013